Periodontal Disease Treatment in Buffalo Grove
According to the most recent study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nearly 50% of US adults over 30 have some form of periodontal (gum) disease. This number is actually lower than some international studies which estimate that more than 75% of adults suffer from gum disease. Regardless of the exact percentage, dentists know the number is too high. The high percentages are most often contributed to smoking, type 2 diabetes, and diet. The good news is that, in most cases, periodontal disease is preventable. Maintaining gum health starts with an excellent at-home care routine and professional teeth cleanings every six months. For many people, this is effective at preventing gum disease, but for others, additional help may be needed. Countryside Dental offers deep cleanings, scaling, and root planing to help restore damaged periodontal tissue for patients from Buffalo Grove and surrounding areas.
Gum Disease Warning Signs and Symptoms
Unfortunately for the many patients suffering from periodontal disease, the early warning signs can be extremely subtle. Without regular dental office visits, a patient is unlikely to notice the symptoms of periodontal disease until it has reach the advanced stages. There are two main types of periodontal disease, gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis is the mild form of periodontal disease, and its symptoms are typically minimal. Some things to look for include:
- Red, itchy, irritated, or swollen gums
- Sensitivity or bleeding while chewing, brushing, or flossing
- Bad breath that doesn’t improve after brushing
Most patients notice something is wrong when gum disease has reached the more advanced stage, periodontitis. Some of the warning signs of periodontitis include:
- Red or purplish colored gums
- Swollen, itching, or irritated gums
- Pus between teeth and gums
- Pain, sensitivity, or bleeding that doesn’t subside when not chewing, brushing, or flossing
- Bad breath, bad taste in the mouth
- Teeth that feel lose or a bite that doesn’t line up properly
Treatment Options at Countryside Dental
For patients suffering from gingivitis or periodontitis, there are numerous treatment options available. At Countryside Dental, we offer patients treatment for mild and moderate periodontal disease. For patients with the most severe forms of periodontitis that require surgical treatment, we work closely with a trusted periodontist to provide adequate care. Our treatment options include:
- Frequent teeth cleanings – more frequent professional cleanings are enough to treat most cases of gingivitis. Allowing our team to remove plaque more quickly, prevents the sticky substance from irritating gums or creating sores that lead to periodontitis.
- Scaling – carefully removing all infected tissue and plaque around and below the gum line is called scaling. This is the first line of defense against periodontitis and is typically paired with root planing.
- Root planing – the smoothing down of the tooth root making it more difficult for plaque to adhere to the surface. Root planing along with scaling and more frequent professional teeth cleaning is typically effective in treating moderate periodontitis.
Find Out More
If you’re suffering with gum disease, notice any of the warning signs, or are ready to schedule an appointment, call Countryside Dental today. Our friendly, knowledgeable Buffalo Grove, IL dental team will help you restore optimal oral health quickly, comfortably, and effectively.